PLS has five offices across New York State in close proximity to New York’s 52 prisons.
The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons. ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Number One Attica Reform: PLS
…to indigent individuals confined in New York State prisons.
…and advocate for a more humane criminal justice system.
- the excessive use of force;
- solitary confinement;
- disciplinary hearings;
- access to education, programming and medical and mental health care;
- jail time credit and sentence computation;
- child custody and support and family visitation; and
- immigration and deportation defense.
Then I was moved to a prison far away from the Bard BPI college.
PLS assured me they would help.
PLS was able to get the charges reversed and expunged from my record. Then, despite the COVID pandemic, PLS continued to fight for my return to Bard College. I am grateful and indebted to PLS for firmly having my back. I can now move forward with my positive rehabilitation and continue my journey of a higher education degree under Bard's amazing program. My aspiration to counsel incarcerated youth can again be fulfilled. May those in need of a savior be as lucky as I was to have PLS.
- On November 18, 2021, PLS will host our annual Pro Bono Event to recognize the work of our pro bono volunteers and educate the public about issues faced by incarcerated New Yorkers. The title of this year’s event is Coping with COVID: Experiencing A Pandemic Behind Prison Walls. We are seeking input from you!Read More »
- PLS Executive Director, Karen Murtagh commends DOCCS on resuming the Family Reunion Program and adopting a vaccine incentive campaign.Read More »
- In April, 2021, with funding from New York Community Trust PLS launched our Pre-Release & Reentry Project.Read More »
- Legal Secretary/Receptionist – Buffalo, NY Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) is seeking applicants for the position of Legal Secretary in our Buffalo office. PLS is a non-profit, statewide law office which provides civil legal services to people incarcerated in New York State prisons. PLS engages in civil rights advocacy and litigation including casesContinue reading "Legal Secretary/Receptionist – Buffalo, NY"Read More »
- Staff Attorney Position – Albany, New York Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) is searching for a staff attorney for our Albany office. PLS is a statewide program providing civil legal services to people incarcerated in New York State prisons. PLS engages in civil rights advocacy and litigation primarily in cases involving claims ofContinue reading "Staff Attorney Position – Albany, New York"Read More »
ADVOCACY & LITIGATION
- Today the nonprofit organizations Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) and Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) filed a class action lawsuit against the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) on behalf of people with disabilities who are incarcerated at Five Points Correctional Facility and have been denied mobility-related accommodations they need to get around.Read More »
- A civilly detained individual is not a “prisoner” as defined by the Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA).Read More »
- On July 1, 2021, the Second Circuit issued a landmark decision in Brathwaite v. Garland, finding that the imposition of a presumption of finality to state criminal convictions under appellate review was arbitrary and unreasonable.Read More »
- PLS prevails in challenge to a prison disciplinary proceeding alleging guilty finding was not supported by substantial evidence and violated state regulations and DOCCS’ directivesRead More »