- Today the nonprofit organizations Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) and Prisoners’ Legal Services of New York (PLS) filed a class action lawsuit against the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) on behalf of people with disabilities who are incarcerated at Five Points Correctional Facility and have been denied mobility-related accommodations they need to get around.Read More »
- A civilly detained individual is not a “prisoner” as defined by the Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA).Read More »
- On July 1, 2021, the Second Circuit issued a landmark decision in Brathwaite v. Garland, finding that the imposition of a presumption of finality to state criminal convictions under appellate review was arbitrary and unreasonable.Read More »
- PLS prevails in challenge to a prison disciplinary proceeding alleging guilty finding was not supported by substantial evidence and violated state regulations and DOCCS’ directivesRead More »
- Between April 2020 and March 2021, PLS’ advocacy in the areas of disciplinary hearings, jail time, sentencing computations and parole has resulted in decades of time being removed from people’s sentences.Read More »
Litigation by date:
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Use the search form to search the site.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.